Wednesday, May 21, 2008

EXECUTION ROCK!

Where do I start? It has been a crazy couple of days. The guys have been doing concrete and foundation work at one of the carepoints and the girls have been doing crafts and other work at another carepoint. While the guys were working, we had a brick delivery so me and Barton started hauling bricks -

Oh yeah, it was some heavy stuff.

Yesterday we hiked to the home of one of the carepoint cooks. She walks an hour and a half to get to the carepoint to cook for the kids! It's so easy walk either, it is in the mountains. She proudly showed us her very modest home and we gave her some blankets and prayed with her. I can say for the whole group that we had a very special moment.

Then we woke up this morning to do some REAL HIKING! We set out to climb Execution Rock, where people used to be executed by being pushed off. About halfway up, I started to wonder if I was going to make it to the top, but I determined that I wasn't going to stop. I am SO glad I did it. It was breathtaking at the top. I didn't take any pictures of it on my phone (which is how I have been blogging these pics) but here is a picture of Execution Rock that I found on Google -



I stood at the top of that today! Man, it was incredible - I still can't believe I made it to the top. Tomorrow we meet up with the Mozambique team to do some stuff at the Maphaveni carepoint and then drive to Hlane game reserve to go on a game drive and spend the night there. This trip has flown by. My second time to Africa, but it is safe to say I am returning to American soil a different person.

6 comments:

Trice Head said...

AWWWWESOMME!!!

Carole Turner said...

again, jealous. NOT of the Hike, I would die but the view, the story of the cook, great stuff.

Anonymous said...

I miss you guys over here. It only took pulling out the airport driveway and I was like, WAIT!!!! I LOVE AND MISS THEM ALREADY!!!

Carole Turner said...

Brandon, hello, you've been home for a while now, I think it's time to update.

Anonymous said...

We need new one baby, it's July 5

Willie a.k.a Reptoz said...

Oh my God! This is no joke. A laborious work.

 
Locations of visitors to this page